Forget about complex procedures and pricey products and learn to keep it simple. As a person with extremely sensitive skin (sun allergies are a constant torment for me) and curly hair that’s particularly susceptible to humidity, I have learned that there are no instant, magic potions. I have learned that the best way to deal with this issues is by prepping the skin and the hair in advance: many, many days before the “baring it almost all” season begins. Your skin needs to be ready to brace the sun. Trust me, after going 8 months without a glimpse of sunshine, my Casper skin was nowhere ready for sun rays. Spots, allergies, peeling, uneven tanning were ways in which my skin was telling me it wasn’t ready for that. So if you want to be ready for the warmest season of them all, maybe this will help!
- Keep it clean, keep it smooth: Bare skin season is almost here and the best way to get ready is by moisturizing, moisturizing, moisturizing. I like my shower gel to match the smell of my body lotion. Philosophy’s Cabana Girl duo will definitely get you in a Summer mood.
- Skin shedding: Want your tan to last more? Want your legs as smooth as a baby’s butt? Like a canvas, you have to get your skin prepped. A good scrub is a great way to start. You can make your own (the whole sugar, baking soda, oatmeal thing) or you can go with Soap & Glory’s Flake Away (it’s like a spa in a jar). Don’t overdo it, once a week does the trick!
- Silky fingers: Hands always make an impression, it’s one of the first things people notice about you. For Summer, keep ’em moisturized at all times. Hand creams are a must in a girl’s purse! And if like me, you have the terrible habit of murdering your cuticles with your teeth, moisturizing often will definitely keep you from biting them. Hand Food, Soap & Glory
- Sexy hair: Beach waves are every girl’s dream. But if you belong to the Curly Sue team (like moi), frizz and humidity are our worst enemies when it comes to warm weather. Now’s the time to start applying treatments and searching for the perfect styling cream. Beauty gurus and bloggers with curly hair swear by Bumble & Bumble Curl Conscious Calming Cream.
- Summer pucker: Not many people know this and not many people do it, but lip scrubbing is as important as facial or body exfoliating. Bliss has the perfect combo for everyday lip conditioning: Fabulips, available on Sephora. And remember, it’s always nice to scrub before applying a bright colored lipstick, it lasts longer!
- Heel repair: Grooming ladies! Summer is all about groomed feet! If you suffer from dry heels or ankles, the solution is easy and painless (ladies, stay away from the callus blade): a softening foot cream with a peppermint base and gel moisturizing socks, every single night! Foot cream, Body Shop
- Nail files: Healthy nails are happy nails! With Dior’s Nail Glow you get treatment + a glossy finish in one product!
- Fake it: I know, you can’t wait to pack your bikins and head to a peaceful beach to get some color on your skin. In the meantime, to get a great and natural tan, St. Tropez self-tanning lotion is just what you need. Wanna remove it? They have another product, just for that!
- Face yoghurt: Love Greek yoghurt? With Korres Advanced Sleeping Facial you can now slap it on to your face! Great for your skin and it works at night!
- Skin enamel: I’ve favored skin oils better than body lotions all my life. The reason? I feel they can hydrate your skin better and they leave a sexy shine on your skin (there was a moment in my life I was so obsessed with baby oil, I looked like a bodybuilder at a contest every time I went out. That ship sailed long ago, thank God). Vaseline Cocoa Butter Gel Oil is cheap, easy to find and great for your limbs.
- A seasonal scent: I know, they are limited editions (I hate buying perfumes I know I won’t be able to buy forever) but a Summery scent can immediately cheer you up and put you in a sunny mood. They are always fresh and lovely! A tip: if the perfume you normally wear has a Summer edition, go for that one. I wear Naughty Alice and am already looking for my Flirty Alice for Summer.
- Scrubbing duties: A loofah in the shower is a must. Just remember, they are not forever, for hygiene reasons, you should replace them every once in a while.
- While you were sleeping: Night serums will make you wake up fresh, shiny (in a good way) and hydrated. Aurelia Glow Serum will do wonders to your precious face.
- Protect the skin you’re in: I don’t need to say more! Slap SPF at all times, in the morning, two hours later, then an hour later. Hell, you can even use SPF as your day cream. I favor Avene Ultra-high protection cream, SPF 50
This are products you can find almost everywhere (some at Sephora, some at the drugstore, some at the supermarket) and they are replaceable (you don’t have to buy the same brand, something similar will do). Take care of your skin and hair, and you will look fabulous this Summer and after the Summer as well. Ready for some new make up products? That’s what my next Summer Prep post will be about. Stay tuned!
Illustrations: Ana Sofia Alanis
Image sources: Sephora, Selfridges,
All texts, illustrations and collages are made by me, it’s forbidden to re-post without previous request (email@example.com) and images must link back to this site