This is the beginning of a long series of beachwear posts and since it’s one of my favorite seasons, I’m really, really enjoying it! Ever since I started blogging, I have always payed special attention to Summer. Wanna know why? Because it’s a happy season, it’s colorful and you can go out there wearing almost nothing and it’s socially acceptable.
This is not your classic magazine, body type, bikini guide. This is not the always annoying “If you are big breasted, wear tops with more coverage” guide. Honey, I have big, natural boobs and your “more coverage” tops happen to make me look like a quarterback. This is not the “if you are curvy or pear shaped stay away of the string bikini” kind of guide. Or the infamous “If you have a muffin top, wear a tankini”. A tankini? Seriously? No one should be allowed to wear tankinis! EVER! Those guides suck, because a girl should always know what looks good on her and she should be able to wear what she wants if she likes how she looks in it.
Every body is different, that’s why I don’t believe in shape stereotypes and that’s why my guide is all about trends, textures, styles, colors and attitudes. For this first post, I’ve made a bikini chart and from tomorrow we will start learning about each and every one of the styles you can see on my chart. Ready?
- Free spirit: Mixing fringes with tie-dye and leopard print? That’s the kind of risks the Free Spirit takes when it comes to swimwear and everything else. She is the master of mixing and matching. TOP: H&M BOTTOM: River Island
- Jungle book: Prints have always been a must when it comes to bikini sets, but this season, it’s all about the jungle: plants, tropical birds, wild cats and more! BIKINI: We Are Handsome
- Vintage rose: I’m a sucker for floral print, but when floral print gets the vintage treatment, it’s whole new level of awesomness. BIKINI: Zimmermann
- Glam gal: We are talking Pucci and Versace, old school Versace, kind of prints, mixed with metallic and textures. TOP: Pucci BOTTOM: Versace
- Bombshell: What would Marilyn wear nowadays for a beach day? What would a bond girl wear? Skimpy and belted pieces, for sure! BIKINI: Emilio Pucci
- Thrill of the frill: Frills and ruffles were among the strongest trends this Spring, it’s only natural that they transitioned beautifully into bikini sets. BIKINI: Norma Kamali
- Retro chic: You can be afraid of the high-waisted bottoms, but don’t hate them till you try them. Always pair them up with tie front tops for an even more retro air. TOP: River Island BOTTOM: Tori Praver
- Boho babe: Mix ethnic prints, with crochet, with embroideries and you’ll always get it right. TOP: Emamó BOTTOM: Emamó
- Charming belle: Micro florals, Lemon Vreeland, Sookie Stackhouse and grandma’s curtains, all of that in a swimsuit! TOP: NewLook BOTTOM: Zimmermann
- Lolita: Bows, polka dots, balconette tops, boy short bottoms and of course, a pair of red heart shaped glasses. TOP: J. Crew BOTTOM: NewLook
- Pastel pretty: I’m a sucker for powdery shades but hear me out, pastel shades against a perfect tan is a killer look. TOP: Carine Gilson BOTTOM: J.Crew
- The mermaid: You need a teal bottom with a shimmery finish and a structured, blush, scalloped bra. Very Ariel from The Little Mermaid and perfect for a poolside. TOP: Topshop BOTTOM: Vix
- Vitamin: Barbie pink and bright orange are great for swimwear, they look amazing with a tan and they are bound to get some heads turning your way! TOP: Herve Leger BOTTOM: Melissa Odabash
- Bejeweled: Think sapphires, emeralds, amethysts, all in a shimmery and silky finish! TOP: Vix BOTTOM: Olga Olsson
- Hello tan lines: Straps across the tummy or multi-string bottoms, they are a gamble but they sure look great! BIKINI: Agent Provocateur
- Mexican delight: To my delight (I am a proud Mexican) Aztec and folk prints and textures are all over for Summer 2013. Embrace the sarape stripes! TOP & BOTTOM: River Island
- Wild thing: Choose your poison: leopard, cheetah, tiger, python and wear those two little pieces of clothing with pride and attitude. Wanna make it bolder? Mix the prints! TOP: Carlotta Vulcano BOTTOM: Melissa Odabash
- Sporty: Another one of the season’s biggest trends gets the beachwear treatment. BIKINI: Lisa Marie Fernandez
- In the navy: Sailor stripes? A classic that never gets boring! BIKINI: J.Crew
- Dark & Dangerous: A little black bikini is like the little black dress, a must in your closet! BIKINI: River Island.
That’s a wrap for today! Tomorrow we are starting with the first of the styles, so stay tuned!
Illustrations: Ana Sofia Alanis
Image sources: Net-a-porter, Polyvore, Farfetch, Zara
All texts, illustrations and collages are made by me, it’s forbidden to re-post without previous request (firstname.lastname@example.org) and images must link back to this site