As promised, I am back with another one of our Spring Groceries posts, it’s the second from a three-part series. Dressing up casually or for an evening out is relatively easy. Almost every day, women ask themselves the same question: “What am I supposed to wear today?” And then comes the next statement: “I have absolutely nothing to wear (even though the closet is packed with clothes)”. Having your off-duty and on duty basics is what will save you from arriving late to dinner after you put on your entire closet and ended up with the first thing you tried on. They will save you from arriving late to work because your alarm didn’t go off and you didn’t have a last minute savior, the garment you know you can pair with almost anything and whip up a great look. This reasons are reasons enough for me to put together a Spring 2013 Off-duty, On duty basics. Check them out and cross out those you already have. Let’s begin!
Drinks with friends, a first date, a family dinner, a night out with the colleagues, our lives are filled with things to do and places to be. And there are times where those skinny jeans and your high-tops just won’t do. For a dressier occasion, there is always the basic garment you just can’t live without. Forget about the boring black blazer or the black stiletto pumps, this Spring the “on duty” garments are more unexpected than expected:
- Warrior heels: They are sexy and they have that “good girl gone bad” vibe. Men love them and they have the power of sexing-up anything you are wearing. Brian Atwood is responsible for this two-toned beauties.
- Minimal culotte: With a sweatshirt, with a shirt and a blazer, with a tee, with a leather top, possibilities are endless. This pair is from Zara and is already a blogger favorite.
- The detailed button-down: Leave your white shirt for work or an off-duty day. When going out, printed, embroidered or embellished blouses are the way to go. Feeling a little edgy? Match them to crazy prints and killer heels. This beauty is from Marni.
- The black envelope: If you don’t have one already, start saving up! Black envelope clutches are perfect for when having to make a day outfit a little dressier for the night. Marni also made this black number.
- The evening slipper: How many times have you wanted to ditch the heels for a night but you don’t have another option that goes with your evening ensemble. A pair of embroidered slippers or leopard ones (Charlotte Olympia’s kittens are a dreamboat) will save your life and your outfit!
- The monochromatic trousers: Black and white is a classic that never goes out of style. This season, with the Beetlejuice stripes everywhere, options are endless. You can go for the whole Balmain style striped jeans or off-white trousers with black details.
- The new LBD: Forget about your tailored, simple frock. Go for a detailed one: textures, lace, ruffles, leather, your choice. Victoria Beckham is a master when it comes to reworking the famous LBD.
- The double-breasted waistcoat: Forget about the black blazer, each time you want to add a tailored piece to you ensemble, go for the waistcoat. Oh yeah, the vest is the new blazer. Waistcoat, Zara.
- Statement skirt: I like them flouncy, but you can go pencil, a-line or bodycon. Just pick a print that’s bold, but not flashy enough. Remember, basics are meant to go with everything. Skirt, Zara
- Naked black heels: There’s nothing sexier than pedicured feet (please, when wearing this, a pedicure, moisturizer and a good scrub is mandatory) in a pair of barely there heels. Have always a black pair with you, it will come in handy when you least expect it! Heels, Zara
- The evening bomber: Need to cover up for a windy Spring night? Leave your biker at home and switch to an evening bomber. Don’t think varsity, you can now find them in silk, lace, leather, even beautiful prints. This baby is from DKNY.
Dressing up for a casual day can be more difficult than it seems, save yourself the trouble and check this list. You should (ok, if you want to) have all this items inside your closet at all times, clean, ironed and ready to wear. You never know when you’ll need them!
- The army tee: Even if you are not keen on camo, this baby with a pair of cut-offs, some skinny jeans or even a leather skirt can be a total life saver. Tee, Current Elliot
- Casual ruffles: This is a boho chic skirt, but you can give it the twist you want with the right choice of top. A long sweater with some boots for a more relaxed and comfy style. A tee and some sneakers or a leather jacket for some edge?
- The denim shirt: Always a basic, always comes in handy and with the denim trend this season, even more so. This beauty is from Dsquared.
- The cool aviators: I’ve always been a Ray Ban kind of gal, but with all the designers embracing this shape, possibilities are endless. For a touch of glamour, go for gold frames.
- White and distressed: Blue jeans are not as exciting as white ones. Add some rough patches and a great fit, you’ve got a winning combo. You can wear them at night with a cool top, for the day with a tee and a bomber.
- The off-duty tunic: Days where you don’t want to think and pair garments happen to all of us. That’s when the off duty tunic comes in: throw a pair of flat gladiators, a messenger bag and a denim jacket and you are good to go! Tunic, Zara
- The gray pullover: Sweatshirts have take over the word thanks to the genius Nicolas Ghesquiere and a gray one is the one that has proved more resourceful.
- The beaded jacket: You might think of this baby as more of an evening garment, but trust me, a white tank and some distressed skinnies with some barely there flats is pure bliss. You’ll be comfy, you’ll be well dressed and you’ll survive the heat.
- The Becketts: They are the originals, and trust me, they are worth the splurge. Isabel Marant is to blame for this babies and they are not going anywhere anytime soon. If you wanna save up, look for an alternative, not a clone. Adidas high-tops are to die for and affordable. CLICK HERE to take a look.
- Camel lace-ups: Sexy, off-duty or on duty depending what you pair them with, perfect for Spring and Summer. With jeans, with a boho dress, with shorts, with everything! Really, go, buy them, NOW! This wonders are from Rebecca Minkoff.
There you go, more staples for your Spring closet! One more to go and we will move on to how to wear them!
Have a beautiful weekend,
Illustrations: Ana Sofia Alanis
Image sources: Net-a-porter, Polyvore, Farfetch, Zara
All texts, illustrations and collages are made by me, it’s forbidden to re-post without previous request (email@example.com) and images must link back to this site