Good Tuesday, my sweet readers! The new season is here (almost) and so is a new section. For a while we’ve been focusing on trends and how to wear them. I wanted to tackle one of the issues most women face each day, what to wear and where to wear it. Raise your hand if before an event you have called your mates asking one of the following questions:
- Are you wearing pants or a skirt?
- Do you think I can wear a short dress to the wedding reception?
- Are we gonna walk a lot? Should I wear flats or heels?
- Is there a coat check? I really don’t want to carry my jacket around.
This is what this section is all about, dressing according to occasions, then adding the trends into mix. From dates and dinner parties, to running errands and going to the gym, from this day on, I’ll give you some ideas on what to wear for a specific event. To start today, one of my ultimate favorite activities: THE BRUNCH
Sunday brunch is to New Yorkers what Sunday mass is to Catholics (if you are both, you can do Church first, them mimosas). This activity is not only about getting your daily share of carbs and having an excuse to drink before 2 pm, it’s about quality time with you buddies or family. And since Sunday’s are supposed to be relaxed, dressing up can be a tad confusing. You can’t take the comfort road with a tracksuit (you only wear tracksuits in the privacy of your home) or gym gear, but neither the overdressed highway. What can we do? Look for that grey area, the middle, the best of both the frumpy world and the dressy one.
Dressing up for Brunch depends on the place and the company. With the girls is one story, with a date is a completely different one. For today’s styling sheet I decided to go with Brunch with the girls. Here’s what I chose:
“BRUNCH WITH THE GIRLS” LOOK
I dressed it up with a tuxedo waistcoat, I toned it down with some denim cut-offs. To keep it fresh and crisp, I color-blocked, neutral style. White shoes can be risky, but when done right the result is great. The accessories, even if they have the same shades as the garments, manage to give the ensemble a cool twist. Each of them are so different (spiked, embellished, with chains), but together they merge beautifully. For the purse, a nude handbag to make it a bit more casual.
- Champagne silk top, ASOS
- Tuxedo waistcoat, ZARA
- Blush cut-off shorts, TOPSHOP
- Chain detail belt, ASOS
- T-strap sandals, ZARA
- Antigona bag, GIVENCHY
- Embellished bangle, FOREVER 21
- Spiked bracelet, ASOS
- Rope bracelet, ASOS
- Love ring, ASOS
- Gris Deco nail polish, YSL
For all the details on today’s look, go to FASHIOLISTA
IN YOUR BAG, BRUNCH EDITION
I also wanted to add this to the section. How many times do we carry crap we never use in our bags? Our backs and arms are the ones to suffer the consequences. Also, our pretty, pretty bags need to be taken care of and don’t like to carry so much weight. How many times do you find yourself looking for something in your bag and saying: “Why the hell didn’t I pack some gum, or some hair pins? This part of the Style Sheet posts will help you to never forget your essentials, depending on the event, type of bag and time of the day!
Since the bag is quite spacious, it allows us to take a lot of goodies inside! But let’s not get excited and stick to what we really need! Here are the items that I consider essential when going out to Sunday brunch.
- MAKE ME PRETTY: Inside your make-up bag (Cath Kidston): Figs & Rouge lip balm to moisturize the lips / Dolce & Gabbana’s Natural Monica lipstick to add some color to them / Stila Cover up Stick, after one to many mimosas you’ll need it / Nars Orgasm blush and brush, this two are like extended limbs, they need to always be with you / Benefit’s Speed Brow, brows always need some touch-ups /Benefit BADgal brown eyeliner / Portable perfume bottle, the best invention ever made
- CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT: Since it’s sunny, sunny out there and there’s nothing like brunch in a terrace or the sidewalk, Stella McCartney Aviator sunnies / Michael Kors python wallet, someone has to pay for the mimosas right? / Your keys, duh / iPhone, not only for calling and texting… There’s nothing like Instagramming our eggs Benedict
- KEEP-IT-TOGETHERS: Sunscreen must be with you at all times, seriously! / Altoids, Champagne and Lox tend to leave their trail / Olive Body Butter; I am obsessed with moisturizing and shiny legs, even more when wearing shorts or skirts / Hand Cream; same moisturizing story / Anti-bacterial gel, because we should all have a little Howard Hughes inside us.
Are you ladies ready to brunch? Let me know what are your thoughts on this new section. If you would like to see outfits for a particular event, leave me your comments! We are reinventing Sweet’n’Raw, Summer style, so expect more surprises and fresh, new sections!
lllustrations: Ana Sofia Alanis
Image sources: ASOS, Farfetch, Bodyshop, Net-a-porter, Zara, Bath & Body Works, Polyvore
All texts, illustrations and collages are made by me, it’s forbidden to re-post without previous request (email@example.com) and images must link back to this site