May and Antibes were witnesses of Chanel’s Cruise collection for 2012. The first of some of the fashion shows we will be seeing these days. Mastermind and talented multitasker (also overachiever), Karl Lagerfeld released to our delight a preview of his short movie “The Tale of a Fairy” days before the show to make our expectations and curiosity grow even more. Starring The Kaiser’s muse, Anna Mougalis, supermodel wonder Freja Beha Erichsen, Lagerfeld’s protegè, Baptiste Giabiconi, Kirsten McMenamy and Bianca Balti among others.
With the Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc and the beautiful coast of Antibes as a background, Chanel showcased the collection in a catwalk surrounded by garden tables with white, outdoor umbrellas. Australian sensation (and a personal favorite) Abbey Lee Kershaw, now with platinum blonde locks, opened the show in canary yellow. And like this Mr. Lagerfeld color blocked the different styles. First came the yellow outfits, then lilac ones, followed by beige, and so on. Lots of tailored, monochromatic suits were shown in the long runway. Shimmery one piece swimsuits were successfully paired with classic Chanel tweed short jackets. Classic chanel black and beige in swimwear, skirts, dresses, trousers, kaftans. Embellished pieces, printed ones. A collection where the choices are endless. Everything accesorized with pearls, brooches, all real, all diamond. This is Karl telling the world, more is more, and it’s never enough (and I agree, that’s my motto in life). The show ended with The Kaiser strutting his fabulous self in his trademark black ensemble.
Skirts below the knee and the boot thongs (Emily Baker). Flirty beige in Sara Blomqvist. Air of first class preppiness (Alina Kozelkova). Swimwear with tweed jackets (Danisa Dvorakova). Double breasted with tweed for Julia Saner. Photos Style.com
Black and white perfection (Kristen McMenamy). Long lengths in white (Merethe Hopland. Goregous gown, goregous model, Saskia de Brauw. See thorugh in Abbey Lee. Formal (Iselin Steiro). All photos style.com
THE FRONT ROW, BEST-DRESSED
- Mademoiselle Blake: One very lucky girl. Not only because of her perfect physique but also she is one of Karl Lagerfeld chosen ones (also Anna Wintour has a soft spot for our Gossip Girl). Looking “Chanel” perfect, Lively wore a sequined, short Chanel Haute Couture jacket in black. Everything from the hair to the shoes was absolutely flawless.
- Princess Caroline: Effortless, sophisticated, simple and classic. Royal
- Caroline Sieber: Showing us why she is one of the brand’s ambassadors (she is one of my current style crushes), the stylist wore a delicate lace shift dress with black platform sandals.
Things I learned:
- The Kaiser can do anything, in fact there is some God complex going on there (in a good way).
- Mark Vanderloo is still hot.
- Freja Beha is an alien (that beauty she has is not from planet Earth)
- Mr. Lagerlfeld wears the hottest accessories, and we are not talking leather gloves (Hello, Sebastien Jondeau and Baptiste Giabiconi).
- Blake Lively is like a mannequin,no matter what she wears, it will always look effortlessly perfect.
- The Thong boot? Only Karl could pull that one off.
- I want to be a Kaiser Girl!